What I am Reading
I hope everyone enjoyed a fabulous holiday. I am enjoying some well deserved downtime with my family. What I love most about a holiday is the chance to do some reading. I finally downloaded the library reading app onto my phone this year. I have what a large phone (Samsung Note) which is a decent size in which to read. The library allows me to download books for 3 weeks, before they disappear off my phone. I can also put e-books on hold. It has saved me lots of money, and made it really easy for me to read.
My long time readers will know that I am not much of a New Year's Resolution person. I usually make one small, boring, change, ie: making my bed. This year I want to continue reading for pleasure regularly. It is a lovely way to unwind and I find it a stress reliever.
When it comes to books, I have a particular love for real stories, so memoirs and biographies are frequently on my library hold list. A couple of memoirs that I loved this year were:
- North of Normal, Cea Person - I reviewed this memoir by my lovely and talented friend Cea earlier this year. I loved how she was able to write her unique childhood in a voice that did not reflect the hindsight of her adult self.
- Laughing all the Way to the Mosque, Zarqa Nawaz - My Canadian friends may remember the CBC TV Show "Little Mosque on the Prairie". This memoir by its creator is full of lots of chuckle out loud moments, often at her own expense. This one was a bit embarrassing to read during my son's swimming lessons. It is currently on sale at Indigo.
- I'll Drink to That: A Life of Style with a Twist, Betty Halbreich - Close to 40 years as the original personal shopper at Bergdorf Goodman has provided Betty with some stories. And her honest, often blunt, voice makes this a refreshing story. And a unique look at style.
Reading Wish List
I have most of the books below on hold on my library app and can't wait to read sometime in 2015.
- The Woman I Wanted to Be... Diane Von Furstenberg.
- Mating for Life - Marissa Stapley.
- Watch Me - Angelica Houston
- I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend - Martin Short. My friend Danielle is reading this and her comments on Goodreads have put this onto the 2015 list. I might have to wait a while though as there are 35 people ahead me on the hold list.
- Yes Please, Amy Poehler. Danielle just reminded me about this book which I had forgotten on this list.
What are you reading this year? Any good recommendations to add to my list?
P.S. My library app is OverDrive. Check out to see if it is available for your local library. Once the app is downloaded onto your device all you need is a library card for a participating library.