Food for Our Brains – Leading Moms
Next Wednesday October 3 I am going to spend the day with a room full of women "igniting ideas". I have been to full day conferences that "teach" me more about my profession and business and I have been to inspirational events that spur ideas. But none of them has focused on me as a Mom and featured extraordinary moms making a difference. Leading Moms will feature inspirational talks, videos and performances by extraordinary mom making a difference. They come from a wide spectrum of industries from arts, fashion, culture, business, science, media, politics and more.
So why take a whole day to attend such a conference? Aren't there breakfast and lunch events that also feature Moms doing fantastic things? The answer is yes there are other events for Moms. But I feel the benefit of a full day like this is that you get to hear from so many different women all in on venue and on one day. Plus you get to meet and network with a lot of other women to discuss, in person, the events of the day. One of the event organizers called it a "spa day for your brain". And I agree. I felt my September was all consumed with back to school and work routine. I need a jump-start as we go into winter to get inspired and ready to take on new challenges.
Over the course of the day, which ends at 2:30 so many of us to get to school pick-up, you will immerse yourself in personal stories of motherhood in a mix of performance, video and intimate talks delivered straight from the heart.
Some of the fantastic women the event, hosted by Pamela Martin, will feature:
- Premier Christy Clark - Opening Keynote - I can only imagine how challenging it is to balance such a high profile job with her family.
- Fiona Douglas-Crampton, CEO of The Minerva Foundation - Closing Keynote - Fiona has dedicated her career to mentoring others. She is going to talk about "Bring Brave".
- Ratana Stephens, Co-CEO and COO of Nature's Path - Ratana is the "heart" of this family run business that is fast growing company. She has won the YWCA Women of Distinction and other community service awards.
- Natalie Angell-Gesseling, Exeuctive Director of Shanti Uganda - Nataie founded the Shanti Uganda Society, a Canadian Charity and Ugandan NGO that improves infant and maternal heatlh.
- Dr. Carol Friedrich-Fong, Biotechnology Department, BCIT - Carol is an educator in the field of Microbiology and Biotechnology.
- Monica Morong, World Hip Hope Mom - I met Monica last Sunday as she was filming a new video "Make the Switch" for Lunapads. She is a conscious mom rapper on a mission to make mainstream music more meaningful for our youth.
I will admit my favourite part of the day might be the Nicole Bridger fashion show. My regular readers know how much I LOVE Nicole's sustainable fashions. The fun news is that I will be a model in the show. I went to my fitting today and am excited to show off some of Nicole's Fall 2012 designs. Lets hope I don't have a Carrie Bradshaw moment and trip on my heels. So between now and then you can find me out in the alley practicing walking in heels.
- What - Leading Moms
- When - October 3, 2012, 8:30 - 2:30
- Where - HR MacMillan Space Centre, 1100 Chestnut Street
- How - Register at LeadingMoms.ca
- Why - See Above.
To track the online conversations before and during the event follow #LM2012. I will be live tweeting some of the highlights and perhaps some backstage fun from my @fashion_frwd40 twitter account.
Disclosure - The event is hosted by Vancouver Mom, ModernMama and Entrepreneur Mom Now. As an Event Ambassador I was provided with a free ticket for the event. As always all opinions are my own, and any laughs at my falling during the fashion show your own.